Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sam Fuld Is Baseball8217s Most Fascinati
08-23-2017, 06:31 PM
Sam Fuld Is Baseball8217s Most Fascinati
For all of the analysis of Matt Garzas potential Case Keenum Jersey impact with the Cubs, and also the skillsets of recent Rays prospects Chris Archer, Robinson Chirinos, Brandon Guyer, and Hak-Ju Lee, probably the most interesting character within the eight-player deal may well be Sam Fuld. The 29-year-old native of Durham, New Hampshire is really a walk-taking speed merchant, a Stanford economics grad, pursuer of the Masters degree in statistics, fighter of diabetes, and lover of pizza bagels. Fuld took a few minutes to chat about his expectations using the Rays, his keen curiosity about stats and baseball analysis, and also the value of playing the sport without thinking. (You are able to listen to the full interview here.) Jonah Keri: How did you first get into taking a look at baseball stats and taking into consideration the game on that level? Fuld: Before I could even read, I could do my times tables. I always enjoyed numbers, I always liked math. Obviously baseball is a superb sport to include numbers. I was always into the numbers side from the game. I'd these little baseball handbooks where I would just sit there and memorize stats for various ballplayers. I was six years of age! It had been, I suppose, an odd hobby for any six-year-old, but it just felt right. I usually had a pa sion for it. After college, I noticed, man, this is a growing thing. I read Moneyball, I loved it. I believe that was after i realized, this stuff is relevant, Im only some of the one who thinks like this, there are more individuals like that. That sparked a fireplace a little bit, to follow the growth of stats in baseball. And Ive followed it since. Keri: Then theres the church a suring idea, when Owen Daniels Jersey youre on the field, that you simply attempt to shut [statistical thinking] out. Do you feel it must go that way? Fuld: I believe Bryan Witzmann Jersey baseball, in ways, the more brain-dead you are on the area, the more succe s you've. And that's why you see some big old dummies who are Hall of Famers (laughs). Thats the actual way it goes. There is a time for you to think on the field, but when youre in the batters box, its all reaction. Maybe theres an opportunity when youre within the dugout to think on the stats side, however , your job is straightforward like a player, and eventually you need to do what your coworkers expects you to definitely do. I suppose it depends on who your coworkers is, and who your front office is. I came up in the Cubs system, and theyre most likely not as active in the statistics side from the game as some other organizations. Situation important to me to get on base, despite the fact that (laughs) there have been some guys who, all they cared about was my average. Keri: Were they telling you, be aggre sive, tips to negotiate, swing, swing, swing? Fuld: Yeah, I definitely got a large amount of that sort of instruction. Its frustrating, but its reality. You need to please your bo s before others. Thats one of the things Im actually getting excited about in going to the Rays, is maybe a bit more advanced thinking when it comes to the amount of baseball. Keri: You probably did an internship at Stats, Inc. What was your Alfred Blue Jersey role there? Fuld: I was in operations. I'd watch game tape, and that i would do their PVL program, that is [looking at] Pitch Type/Velocity/Location. As monotonous as that sounds, I personally enjoyed it a lot. I simply sat for this room about 20 other like-minded guys who enjoyed doing exactly what I was doing, also it was pretty fun. Keri: If you Google Sam Fuld, youre likely to see clips of you running around and crashing into walls. Have you ever had a really close call with a railing, and have you ever gotten your bell rung crashing Matt Schaub Jersey into a wall? Because theres some kamikaze for your game. Fuld: Yeah, I recall having some interesting moments. I remember playing in Doubleday Field, in high school, on some All-Star team I had been on. Theres a rail out in right-center field, I remember running full steam into it, cutting open my arm, blood going everywhere. Maybe Abner might have appreciated it. You will find a full introduction to the interviews topics at JonahKeri.com, or you can pay attention to the entire interview below, or subscribe on iTunes.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply