Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Prospects In The Justin Upton Deal
09-14-2017, 07:55 PM
Prospects In The Justin Upton Deal
Earlier within the week, I discu sed the kind of prospect package the Diamondbacks would require from the Atlanta Braves for a deal to make sense for franchises. Little did I understand the Braves could be willing to spend Martin Prado, a lynchpin of the organization who has averaged nearly four-wins per season from 2010-2012. When a player of Prados ilk is Jimmy Landes Jersey included, the chance haul is bound to shrink. While all youngsters have Major League po sibilities, the audience is void of impact potential. The most notable prospect is Randall Delgado who already includes a Major League resume. One paper, hes the pitcher I saw in Chattanooga like a Double-A prospect. Iffy command. 90-92 mph sinking fastball, touching 94. Breaking pitches including a curveball and changeup he uses liberally, but require additional refinement. Delgado has a high floor and also the capability to improve, but hes a quality third starter at his peak. For me, hes a definite silver to Teherans gold as Delgado is more of a certainty than J.R. Graham. I know Graham Adairius Barnes Jersey is really a hot prospect name at this time, but Delgado was at exactly the same boat a few years ago. Prospect followers forget this quickly.
The second pitching prospect in the deal, Zeke Spruill, had been within the Braves organization hours. After battling maturity and injury i sues in the lower levels, Spruill righted the ship this year and regained some lost value. In Marc Hulets Braves top-15, he had this to say of the ninth ranked Spruill, Spruills approach on the mound has evolved over time and hes become more of the pitch-to-contact pitcher. His strikeout minute rates are just a little low, as a result, but Corey Robinson Jersey he produces above-average ground-ball rates. He has a tall, lanky frame with good balance and an easy delivery. He might be a solid innings-eater in the back-end of the starting rotation. With a few improvements to his secondary stuff I saw him pitching at the level of a No. 3 starter not le s than several seasons. In April, two position prospects I hadnt seen previously impre sed me within an exhibition game between the Atlanta Braves and future Braves. The names? Nick Ahmed and Brandon Drury. To be clear, neither profile as impact talents, but many Single-A players dont project as big leaguers either. Nick Ahmed has a long, lanky frame at shortstop that is ideal. However, the agility and quickne s one would expect from the 40-stolen base player falls a little flat. Ahmed has got the arm strength and lateral movement to stay, but hes a typical defensive shortstop for me personally. On offense, he had a tendency to push the barrel utilizing an inside out approach. The bat appeared heavy in the hands as though Ahmed lacked strength. However, one can dream on his body completing, allowing him to include size and develop more power. Brandon Drury Kerry Hyder Jersey had the very best single swing from the exhibition game as I can continue to recall his scorching line drive to right-center for any double. It was my only peek at him like a viable big leaguer in 2012 as Drury proceeded to struggle mightily. When a corner infield prospect finishes having a triple slash line of .231/.273/.335, its easy to write him off. Drury is preferable to the numbers indicate. Drury seemed to be a better third baseman than I was expecting. Nothing about his defense is flashy, but hes capable of making the routine plays and throws. He's a chance Darren Keyton Jersey of sticking.

The Diamondbacks received an underwhelming haul of young talent in this deal. Best case scenario, they acquired a future third starter, fourth starter, second division shortstop and bench bat around the corner infield. For Arizona, this trade is about Martin Prado, and hinges upon his tenure within the desert.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply